As a working technology teacher, I get hundreds of questions from parents about their home computers, how to do stuff, how to solve problems. Each Tuesday, I’ll share one of those with you. They’re always brief and always focused. Enjoy!
Q: My fifth graders are learning outlining in the classroom. Is there an easy way to tie that into technology?
A: Outlining can’t be easier than doing it in Word. Here’s what you do:
- Select the Numbered List or the Bullet List in MS Word. MS Word 2010 even lets you select the style up front. MS Word 2003–it’s a bit more complicated
- Your first bullet or number appears on the screen. Type your item
- Push enter to add another number or bullet
- To create a subpoint, push tab after you’ve pushed enter to start the next bullet/number
- To push a subpoint up a level, push Shift+tab after you’ve pushed enter for the next bullet/number
That’s it–three keys: