As a working technology teacher, I get hundreds of questions from parents about their home computers, how to do stuff, how to solve problems. Each Tuesday, I’ll share one of those with you. They’re always brief and always focused. Enjoy!
Q: My mouse stopped working. Do I need to buy a new one?
A: Maybe, but try a few things first:
- Check the plugs. Is it still plugged in?
- Check the batteries (if it’s a wireless)? Do you need to replace them?
- Make sure your wireless hub (if it’s wireless) is in proximity that the mouse and keyboard can find it
- Reboot your computer. This is a universal cure for all stuff that goes awry on a computer. There are so many drivers and commands floating around in the operational sequence, they get lost somethings. A reboot might get the mouse driver back where the system can find it.
- Before you buy a new mouse, plug a spare in–see if it works.
Questions you want answered? Leave a comment here and I’ll answer it within the next thirty days.
To sign up for Tech Tips delivered to your email, click here.